“All elements of our spirit are expressed through the face. By treating the face with Facial Rejuvenating Acupuncture, not only do we enhance the way we look, additionally we reduce stress that weighs on our spirit, thus enhancing our health and the way we feel.” —August-G Varlack L.Ac.
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture is a safe, painless and effective treatment for renewing the face as well as the whole body. Fine lines may entirely be removed, deeper lines reduced and bags around neck and eyes firmed.
Fine needles are placed at a variety of acupuncture points on the face, neck and around the eyes to stimulate the body’s natural healing properties (Qi). Muscle groups are addressed as well as the acupuncture points. The face tones itself, via the acupuncture muscular motor points, stimulating the muscles’ toning and tightening ability. Facial Acupuncture also stimulates blood and circulation (energy “Qi” & Blood “Xue”), which improves facial color.
- Reduces acne (caused by hormonal imbalance)
- Helps menopause, perimenopause, PMS and other GYN issues
- Helps sinus congestion and sinus headache
- Improves hyper– and hypothyroidism
- Reduces symptoms of toothache, TMJ, trigeminal neuralgia, and Bell’s palsy
- Helps headaches (except severe migraine)
- Treats diarrhea and constipation (most digestive issues)
- Helps to eliminate edema and puffiness
- Benefits eyes, ears and brain
- Can help insomnia and dizziness
- Helps depression and aids self-esteem
- Improves collagen production and muscle tone
- Helps reduce bags and sagging tendencies
- Helps eliminate fine lines and diminish larger wrinkles
- Helps reduce double chin and lift drooping eyelids
- Improves metabolism
- Tightens pores and brightens eyes
- Increases local blood and lymph circulation
- Improves facial color
- Reduces stress and promotes total health and well-being
Is Facial Acupuncture for Everyone?
Yes. Facial Rejuvenation is safe and beneficial, not only for prevention of wrinkles, and the reversal of the customary signs of aging, but also for the reduction of stress that hastens the aging process.
Can I have Facial Acupuncture at any time?
- Severe high blood pressure: It is OK when the blood pressure is under control and the patient is seeing a medical doctor.
- Migraines: First have your Acupuncturist reduce or resolve your migraine(s). After three months of being migraine free; start or continue your Facial Rejuvenation treatments.
- Laser resurfacing: Wait three weeks .
- Microdermabrasion: Wait one week.
- BOTOX: Wait till it has worn off or have your practitioner drain it and still wait till the affects has worn off.
Do not receive during:
- colds or flu;
- acute herpes outbreak; or
- acute allergic reactions
In the latter 3 instances, once the condition has passed, the patient may receive a facial acupuncture treatment.
How Long is the Treatment?
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ involves the patient in an organic process, in which a series of treatments is necessary to achieve maximal effect. After an initial session, practitioner evaluates the patient’s response, and then can determine the number of follow-up visits that will be required:
After this evaluation, and taking into consideration other variables such as stress, diet, lifestyle, genetic inheritance, proper digestion and elimination, sleep, emotional balance, and age, the following durations of treatment are customarily recommended:
- Usually 12-15 treatments;
- 20 treatments for smokers or people whose skin tends to sag, i.e., who manifest jowls, “turkey wattles,” droopy eyes, etc.
It should be noted that age is not as crucial as might be estimated; an older patient with a healthy lifestyle may in fact have a better prognosis than a younger person who is prone to dissipate themselves.
- 2 times a week (if possible), for 45 minutes to 1 hour; or
- 1 treatment per week, 90 minutes
Within the normal parameters of aging, the completion of a series of treatments should be effective. To ensure the persistence of the results, ongoing maintenance treatments are recommended:
- Every 2 weeks for 2 months following the completion of a treatment series, then once a month for an indefinite amount of time;
- Of course, the patient can also embark upon a subsequent series after a week’s respite
The Use of Chinese Herbs
The Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ treatment protocol incorporates Chinese herbal masks, poultices and moisturizers. Jade rollers, which enhance blood circulation, remove fine lines and age spots, and prevent premature aging, are used to massage moisturizer into the skin. The ancient empresses of China used jade as a precious stone to be worn, not only around their necks, but also to attract yin and nourishment into their skin. The stone served a double purpose of promoting beauty and for mystical protection.
Short and Long-Term Effects of Facial Acupuncture
After the first treatment, one usually observes an increased glow to the complexion, the result of reduced stress and increased Qi and blood flow to the face. The face appears more “open”, there is a clarity in the eyes (“clear spirit” also known as SHEN), and the patient appears and feels more rested; wrinkles start to lessen and the skin appears more toned.
A significant difference in appearance can be ascertained following the 5th to 7th treatments; even more marked changes in wrinkles, skin tone, and ones spirit. The resonance of relaxation and calmness is more pronounced; appearing as if one has returned from vacation. Lifting of the jowls, neck and the eyes has begun and is usually noticeable. With continuing treatment, constitutional issues like digestive complaints have been ameliorated or subsided.
By the end of a series, the patient should look and feel years younger. These results may vary slightly, depending upon how well the patient has taken care of themselves during the process, and afterward. At this stage, booster treatments provide ongoing support within a normal process of aging.
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ is non-invasive, less costly than surgical procedures, and draws upon the ancient Chinese wisdom related to longevity, beauty and balance.
Materials from the Mary Elizabeth Wakefield “Chi-Akra Center”